SECTION 07 19 00
Specifier Notes: This section covers the application of water repellents to protect concrete and masonry from moisture and salt deterioration by use of penetrating silane/siloxane blend products from Laticrete International, Inc. This specifications contains two sections:
- Vertical, above-grade masonry and concrete surfaces
- Horizontal, slab-on-grade or elevated structural concrete surfaces such as sidewalks, building entrances, bridge decks, parking lots and parking structures.
The products specified in this section are not recommended for below-grade applications. Before editing this section, consult L&M to obtain complete product information on the water repellents required for the project.
PART 1. GENERAL
1.01 SECTION INCLUDES
- A. Application of water repellents to protect:
- a. Above-grade, vertical masonry and concrete surfaces.
- b. Slab-on-grade, horizontal concrete surfaces
- A. Submit in accordance with Section 01 30 00 - Submittals.
- B. Product Data: Submit manufacturer's product data sheets on all products to be used for the work. Submit description for protection of surrounding areas and non-masonry surfaces, surface preparation, application, and final cleaning.
- C. Applicator Qualifications: Submit qualifications of applicator.
- 1. Certification stating applicator is experienced in the application of the specified products for the past 5 years.
- 2. List of recently completed water repellent projects of similar scope, including project name and location, names of owner and architect, and description of products used, substrates, applicable local environmental regulations, and application procedures.
- D. Environmental Regulations: Submit applicable local environmental regulations.
- E. VOC Certification: Submit certification that water repellents furnished comply with regulations controlling the use of VOC solvents.
1.03 TEST PANELS
- A. Before full-scale application, review manufacturer's product data sheets to determine the suitability of each product for the specific surfaces. Apply each water repellent to test panels to determine number of applications, coverage rates, compatibility, effectiveness, surface preparation, application procedures, and desired results.
- B. Apply water repellents to test panels in accordance with manufacturer's written instructions. Allow sufficient time before evaluating final appearance and results. Some products require up to 10 days curing time to develop full, long-term repellency. Do not begin full-scale application until test panels are inspected and approved by the Architect.
- C. Test Panel Requirements:
- 1. Size: Minimum 100 square feet each.
- 2. Locations: As determined by the Architect.
- 3. Number: As required to completely test each water repellent with each type of substrate to be protected.
- D. Retain and protect test panels approved by the Architect in undisturbed condition during the work of this section, to be used as a standard for judging the water repellent work.
1.04 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
- A. Delivery: Deliver materials to site in manufacturer's original, unopened containers.
- B. Storage and Handling: Store containers upright in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place, out of the sun. Store away from all other chemicals and potential sources of contamination. Keep containers tightly closed when not in use. Store and handle materials in accordance with manufacturer's written instructions.
- C. Containers must be clearly labeled and identified with product and manufacturer name.
1.05 PROJECT CONDITIONS
- A. Temperature Limitations:
- 1. Do not apply at surface and air temperatures below 50EF or above 95EF, unless otherwise indicated by manufacturer's written instructions.
- 2. Do not apply when surface and air temperatures are not expected to remain above 50EF for a minimum of 8 hours after application, unless otherwise indicated by manufacturer's written instructions.
- B. Do not apply under windy conditions which may result in uncontrolled and excessive water repellent drift.
- C. Do not apply to frozen substrate. Allow adequate time for substrate to thaw, if freezing conditions exist before application.
- D. Do not apply earlier than 24 hours after rain or if rain is predicted for a period of 8 hours after application, unless otherwise indicated by manufacturer's written instructions.
PART 2. PRODUCTS:
- A. Laticrete International, Inc., 1 LATICRETE Park North, Bethany, CT 06524; Toll Free Technical Assistance 800-362-3331, Website www.lmcc.com, Fax 1-800-954-6314.
2.02 WATER REPELLENTS
Specifier Notes: Refer to LATICRETE International, Inc. product data sheets or contact a L&M representative to determine the appropriate water repellents to be specified. Edit this list of water repellents to include only those products and substrates to be included in the work.
- A. Vertical Work: Silane-Siloxane Water Repellent: "AQUAPEL". Clear, penetrating water repellent for use on concrete, brick, and clay tile surfaces. Protects against moisture intrusion and resists efflorescence, leaching, mildew staining, atmospheric staining, and freeze-thaw spalling. Treated masonry and concrete resists alkalis, and acid rain.
- 1. Total Solids: 10%
- 2. Color: White liquid, dries clear
- 3. Odorless, water-based and VOC compliant.
- 4. VOC: less than 200 grams per liter
Specifier Notes: Use AQUAPEL PLUS for concrete block, or extremely porous masonry.
- B. Horizontal work. Silane-Siloxane Micro Emulsion Water repellent, Horizontal Concrete: AQUAPEL Clear, penetrating VOC compliant, silane/siloxane blend designed to repel water and protect concrete from moisture and chloride-ion (salt) ingress.
- 1. Active Substance: Silane-siloxane
- 2. Total active solids: 20%
- 3. Color: Sprays white, dries clear
- 4. VOC: less than 200 grams per liter
Specifier Notes: Use AQUAPEL PLUS for elevated structural concrete members, and for extra protection against freeze thaw deterioration due to severe exposure to salt and moisture.
PART 3. EXECUTION:
Specifier Notes: State actions required to determine that conditions are acceptable to receive the specified water repellents.
- A. Verify by examination that masonry and concrete surfaces are acceptable to receive the specified water repellents. Notify the General Contractor if surfaces are not acceptable to receive the specified products.
- A. Protect surrounding areas, landscaping, building occupants, pedestrians, vehicles, and non-masonry surfaces during the work from contact with water repellents, masonry or concrete cleaners if used, residues, rinse water, fumes, wastes, and effluents in accordance with manufacturer's written instructions.
3.03 SURFACE PREPARATION
- A. Clean all dirt, dust, oil, grease, curing compounds and other contaminants from surfaces that interfere with penetration or performance of water repellents. Use appropriate masonry or concrete cleaners approved by the water repellent manufacturer where necessary. Rinse thoroughly using pressure water spray to remove cleaner residues. Allow surfaces to dry completely before application of water repellents.
- B. Repair, patch, and fill all cracks, voids, defects, and damaged areas in surface as approved by the Architect. Allow repair materials to cure completely before application of water repellents.
- C. Apply specified sealants and caulking and allow to cure completely before application of water repellents.
- D. Seal all open joints.
- E. Allow new masonry and concrete construction and re-pointed surfaces to cure for minimum of 14 days before application of water repellents.
- A. Apply water repellents to substrates in accordance with manufacturer's written instructions, environmental regulations, and application procedures determined from test panel results approved by the Architect.
- B. Apply to clean, dry, cured, and properly prepared surfaces approved by the Architect.
- C. Do not dilute or alter water repellents. Apply directly from container.
3.05 FIELD QUALITY CONTROL
- A. Inspection: Inspect the water repellent work with the Contractor, Architect, applicator, and Laticrete International, Inc. representative, and compare with test panel results approved by the Architect. Determine if the substrates are suitably protected by the water repellents.
- B. Manufacturer's Field Services: Provide the services of a manufacturer's authorized field representative to verify specified products are used, and protection, surface preparation, and application of water repellents are in accordance with the manufacturer's written instructions and the test panel results approved by the Architect.
END OF SECTION - 07 19 00